GRAVITATE HEALTHGravitate–Health: Empowering and equipping Europeans with health information for active personal health management and adherence to treatment
Vast amounts of information on medicines is available, especially online, but it is very hard to know what is reliable or even relevant for a specific patient. And, while each medicine comes with a detailed information leaflet, patients often find these difficult to read and understand.
This is an issue because when patients lack important information about their treatments, they may not take them correctly and this can result in further health problems.
The OECD (Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development) estimates that poor medication adherence may contribute to around 200 000 premature deaths in Europe every year.
The aim of Gravitate-Health is to develop a digital health information tool called the Gravitate Lens (G-Lens). As the name suggests, the G-Lens will focus (but not conceal or filter) approved information on medicines and guide patients to understandable, trustworthy, up-to-date information that meets the patient’s needs and fits with their health context and literacy levels. The functionality of the G-Lens will be supported by an open source digital platform.
More broadly, the project hopes to demonstrate that by making information on medicines more accessible and understandable, patients will be more likely to take their medicines correctly, resulting in better health outcomes and quality of life.
All stakeholders relevant to digital health information are involved in the project, including patient representatives, regulators, ministries, digital technology experts and more.
In addition to the open source platform underlying the G-Lens, the project will produce a white paper with recommendations on realistic strategies on the future use of digital services like electronic product information can be used to further minimise the risks associated with incorrect adherence to advice on medicines.
OUR TASKS IN THE PROJECT
Engageminds-HUB will contribute to sections of WP4 (which will take care of the development of end-user tools) and WP6 (in charge of on-field testing and impact evaluation).
In particular, our task in WP4 will be to develop a library of health educational materials, which will be tailored according to the patients’ psychological profile, based on the PHE model. In WP6, our role will be to evaluate the impact of the G-Lens in patients’ behavioural change and engagement.
OUR CONTRIBUTION TO THE PROJECT
We have an established expertise in both qualitative and quantitative methods applied to health, social and consumption problems, and our Center is considered an excellent point of reference worldwide.
We contribute the evidence-based Model of Patients and Consumer Health Engagement (PHE Model) that we developed, which assesses the individual’s psychological readiness to take an active role in his/her own health management. Our model, published and cited worldwide, will provide guidance in the patients’ profiling and will be used both as a KPI to measure effectiveness of intervention to improve patient and consumer health engagement, and as a theoretical approach to tailor educational contents for patients.
A TASTE OF OUR WORKS
EngageMinds HUB has an established expertise in behavioural change analysis and promotion strategies mixed-methods applied to health, social and consumption conducts. The Research Center has developed an evidence-based Model of Patients and Consumer Health Engagement (PHE Model) which assess the individual’s psychological readiness to take an active role in his/her own health management and lifestyle change.
The Gravitate Health is a public – private partnership with 39 members from Europe and the US, co-led by University of Oslo (coordinator) and Pfizer (industry lead), funded by the Innovative Medicines Initiative (IMI) – a joint undertaking of the European Commission, the European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Associations (EFPIA), IMI2 Associated Partners.
- Astrazeneca AB, Södertälje, Sweden
- Bayer Aktiengesellschaft, Leverkusen, Germany
- Eli Lilly And Company LTD, Basingstoke, United Kingdom
- F. Hoffmann-La Roche AG, Basel, Switzerland
- Grunenthal GMBH, Aachen, Germany
- Mdsol Europe LTD, London, United Kingdom
- Mylan Ire Healthcare Limited, Dublin, Ireland
- Novartis Pharma AG, Basel, Switzerland
- Pfizer Limited, Sandwich, Kent , United Kingdom
- UCB Biopharma, Brussels, Belgium
Universities, research organisations, public bodies, non-profit groups
- Agencia Espanola De Medicamentos Y Productos Sanitarios, Madrid, Spain
- Agentschap College Ter Beoordeling Van Geneesmiddelen, Utrecht, Netherlands
- Akershus Universitetssykehus Hf, Lorenskog, Norway
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Inc Non Profit Corporation, Boston Ma, United States
- Echalliance Company Limited By Guarantee, Dublin, Ireland
- Hl7 International Fondation, Brussels, Belgium
- Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
- Kobenhavns Universitet, Copenhagen, Denmark
- Rijksinstituut Voor Volksgezondheid En Milieu, Bilthoven, Netherlands
- Servicio Madrileno De Salud, Madrid, Spain
- Spms – Servicos Partilhados Do Ministerio Da Saude Epe, Lisboa, Portugal
- Statens Legemiddelverk, Oslo, Norway
- The European Institute For Innovation Through Health Data, Gent, Belgium
- Trinity College Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
- Universidad Politecnica De Madrid, Madrid, Spain
- Universita Cattolica Del Sacro Cuore, Milan, Italy
- Universitetet I Oslo, Oslo, Norway
- Universitetssykehuset Nord-Norge Hf, Tromso, Norway
Small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) and mid-sized companies (<€500 m turnover)
- Datawizard SRL, Roma, Italy
- Empirica Gesellschaft Fur Kommunikations Und Technologieforschung Mbh, Bonn, Germany
- Frisq Holding AB, Stockholm, Sweden
- Guardtime Ou, Tallinn, Estonia
- Himss Europe GMBH, Berlin, Germany
- Mindview Symvouloi Epixeiriseon Kaierevnas Etaireia Periorismenis Efthynis, Athens, Greece
- Norsk E Helse As, Oslo, Norway
- Open Evidence, Barcelona, Spain
- The Synergist, Bruxelles, Belgium
- Trifork Public As, Aarhus C, Denmark
- Forum Des Patients Europeens, 1040, Belgium
- Datapharm Limited, Leatherhead, United Kingdom